In April 2020, Tuomas Saarenheimo was appointed full-time Chairman of the Economic and Financial Committee, which prepares the ECOFIN Council and promotes policy coordination among EU member states, and of the Eurogroup Working Group.
Prior to that, Tuomas Saarenheimo was Permanent Under-Secretary at the Ministry of Finance, Finland, responsible for International and Financial matters. He joined the Ministry in 2013. In this position he was member of the EU Economic and Financial Committee, the Eurogroup Working Group, the Board of Directors of the European Stability Mechanism, and the Board of Directors of the European Financial Stability Facility.
Before joining the Ministry of Finance, Mr Saarenheimo served several spells at the Bank of Finland, ending as Chief Economist and Head of Monetary Policy and Research. He has also held positions as Executive Director for Nordic and Baltic countries at the International Monetary Fund, as National Expert at the European Commission and as researcher at the University of Helsinki.
Mr Saarenheimo graduated in 1989 from the University of Helsinki, where he also gained PhD in Economics in 1994.
List of EFC Presidents and Vice-Presidents since 1999:
- Tuomas Saarenheimo (April 2020 – present)
- Hans Vijlbrief (February 2018 - January 2020)
- Thomas Wieser (January 2012 – February 2018)
- Vittorio Grilli (March 2011 - January 2012)
- Thomas Wieser (March 2009 – March 2011)
- Xavier Musca (November 2005 – February 2009)
- Caio Koch-Weser (May 2003 – November 2005)
- Johnny Åkerholm (October 2001 – May 2003)
- Mario Draghi (June 2000 – September 2001)
- Jean Lemierre (January 1999 -June 2000)
- Alessandro Rivera (September 2021 – present)
- Carlos San Basilio Pardo (November 2020 – August 2021)
- Odile Renaud-Basso (June 2018 – October 2020)
- Vincenzo La Via (July 2015 - May 2018)
- Vazil Hudak (September 2014 - June 2015)
- Inigo Fernandez De Mesa Vargas (March - September 2014)
- Georges Heinrich (March 2011 – February 2014)
- Vittorio Grilli (March 2009 – March 2011)
- Thomas Wieser (November 2005 – March 2009)
- Kees van Dijkhuizen (May 2005 – November2005)
- Lorenzo Bini-Smaghi (April 2003 – May 2005)
- Caio Koch-Weser (October 2001 – April 2003)
- Johnny Åkerholm (February 1999 – October 2001)